Monday, May 31, 2010

Poutine with Duck Gravy

So the other day while I was getting my now 10 month old lunch together, I was attacked by a frozen container of duck broth.  It literally jumped out of the freezer and fell to the floor.  It was like it was saying I'VE REACHED MY SHELF LIFE, USE ME OR LOSE ME!

I put the broth aside to thaw and tried to come up with some kind of idea on how to use it.

On Sunday I had a wicked craving for my grandmothers fried chicken, so I made fried chicken that would even put Mr. Saunders to shame (I'm not emotionally ready to share the recipe yet).  It even tasted better the next day.  Since I had cheese curds in the fridge and lots of potatoes I figure I could make poutine.  The catch was I would have to make my own gravy.  I usually use Benny BBQ sauce, but we didn't have any in the house.  Then I remembered the Duck Broth!  Granted it would make for a decadent sauce, but it's in the poultry category so I figured it should work.

I reduced 4 1/2 cups of the broth with 1 pod of garlic and a half a sliced onion to 2 cups.  I seasoned the broth with salt, pepper and a 1/4-tsp. msg., a dash of dried oregano and basil, then thickened the sauce with cornstarch.

I washed and soaked russet potatoes until there was no visible starch in the water.  Dried the potatoes thoroughly and fried them in peanut and canola oil.

As soon as the fries were done, I plated them, added the cheese and drowned them in the bubbling duck gravy. YMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!  The poutine was amazing!

One thing I respect more now than ever is carcass.  Yes carcass.  After the hard work of boning your meat, there are two rewards.  1. The boneless meat 2. The bones.

Don't waste the bones of your meats, poultry and fish.  Save them and make broth and use it for sauces and soups.  It really makes a difference.


The Cookbook Addict

1 comments:

Susan said...

Hey Foodie!!

We've all memorized the recipe for poutine with duck gravy!!

Come on!! Give us something new. You're public wants a new review and recipe!!!!

(Please?)