Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day Two - Ingrid Hoffmann Simply Delicioso - Arugula, Avocado, and Fennel Salad and Chicken Enchiladas with Fastest-ever Salsa

Well, I survived a few challenges over the past week or two and I am so ready to get back in the game of cooking and testing recipes.  But before I talk about the recipes I tired out, I need to tell you about the food in Montreal.  Yes I was there for a funeral, but my husband and I couldn't leave without trying out a few of our favorite foods.

The day we arrived in Montreal, my husband wanted an order of steamy's (hotdogs with a steamed bun dressed with cabbage, relish and mustard).  My husband calls these dogs sweaty's.  His favorite side dish with his steamy's is poutine.  For the record!  There is no poutine in Ontario that taste as good as poutine in Montreal and the fries are out of this world.  I've been trying to replicate the fries, poutine and steamy's for sometime.  I'm getting closer, but I'm still not there yet.

I had a Kojak Gyro the second day for a late lunch.  OMG!!! I don't know how they make their sauce, but its *%(#*$ amazing.  I almost ate the foil it was wrapped in it was so good.  I always get the garlic sauce and sweet sauce yummy yummy.  You have to have it to understand it.  Then for dinner we had Pizza. Not just any pizza, it was Miss Italia Pizza.  This Pizza is so good, that even my severely lactose intolerant cousin wanted to know why I didn't save her some.  I brought home a piece of the pizza and had it for lunch today. Hmmm hmmm, it was delicious. I savored each bite in hopes that I could identify each ingredient.  I even pulled a piece of pepperoni off the pizza, bagged it and took it to the grocery store to see if I could find a match.  No luck as of yet.  But I'm still looking.  Why can’t the food in Toronto taste as good as Montreal?

Now for tonight’s dinner: I started with the Arugula, Avocado and Fennel Salad.  It was really easy to make and it was totally refreshing.  I will certainly have this salad for lunch tomorrow.

I also made the Chicken Enchiladas.  I like making this dish because you get to use a store bought cooked rotisserie chicken and my 5 year-old son can help me make it.  I admit, the dish is a bit rich, but it's absolutely fantastic.  It's a great dinner to make if you are in a rush for dinner.  But just a word to the fat police, don’t try and substitute ingredients for low fat and high fiber, you will not get the same results.  My girlfriend tried and she was very disappointed.

The Cookbook Addict

0 comments: