Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day Three- The Weeknight Cook - Greek Bulgar Salad and Moroccan Lamb Burgers

The weather was fantastic today! Perfect BBQ weather. So I made a nice light dinner.  I made the Greek Bulgar Salad and the Moroccan Lamb Burgers.  It felt like summer.


Of course I am not telling you anything new here regarding cooking time.  It was quick and easy.  I substituded the bulgar for Quinoa (which is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a grass. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds. Its leaves are also eaten as a leaf vegetable, much like amaranth, but the commercial availability of quinoa greens is currently limited. Wikipedia)
 The salad turned out great although my son wasn't having any of it.  Too much green for his liking.  I added a good handful of chopped parsley because I like the fresh taste. When you combine parsley and cucumber it adds a great refreshing aroma and crisp flavor to a dish.  The combination made me want to plant my herb garden for the summer. 

The Moroccan Lamb Burgers and Yogurt Dressing
tasted better than I thought.  I cooked the burgers on the outdoor BBQ and they were divine.  The Yogurt Dressing was superb, I think mainly because I used a plain Greek yogurt which is a bit sweeter and richer that most yogurts.  You don't get that strong acidic bite from Greek yogurt.  The Greek yogurt would also be amazing with fresh fruit and nuts. It's very delicious.

So far The Weeknight Cook doesn't seem like a difficult book and the meals are quick to pull together.  But I have to be honest!  I'm really craving a rich flavorful meal.  I'm going to hit the pages of The Weeknight Cook and see if I can come up with something that can come close to satisfying my taste buds.



The Cookbook Addict

0 comments: