Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day Three - Michael Chiarello's Casual Cooking


Today I had to do some strategic planning when it came to choosing a meal out of the Casual Cooking cookbook.  My parents were coming to visit from Montreal, the house needed cleaning and I had 6 loads of laundry to do. So I went with a meal that could pretty much cook it's self Long-Cooked Hen in Tomato Sauce. 

Because Hens are not readily available Michael suggests a 4lb chicken.  This is a one-pot meal.  All you have to do is chop a few veggies, onions and garlic. Add your tomatoes, wine and chicken and put it in the oven for two hours.  The chicken comes out tender with lots of flavor.  I served it with polenta and garlic bread to sop up the sauce.  It was delicious.  The great thing about this recipe is that you have enough sauce to freeze and serve with pasta on a later date.  It's the perfect recipe for a weekend dinner and weekend sauce making all in one.  I love it.

My father doesn't eat meat so before I added the chicken to the tomato sauce I ladled some of the sauce in a separate saucepan and simmered it down with shrimp Yummmmm  Again, a very versatile meal.


The Cookbook Addict

0 comments: