Friday, March 5, 2010

Day Five - A Taste of Canada - Sticky-Crisp Barbecued Ribs

Today I gave this book another try.   I made the Sticky-Crisp Barbecued Ribs.  First let me say, I've made a lot of ribs over the years and I'm a firm believer this is one of the reasons why my husband married me.  So my expectations are pretty high.  Remember that I was raised in Quebec where Bar-B-Barn serves the best ribs in town.

As my husband and I sat down at the table and began digging into our dinner, we both had a look on our faces, as if to say, “is this a wing or a rib.”  The ribs were okay. Yes...just okay.  But the flavors seemed to be a bit displaced. We felt like we should have been eating chicken wings instead of ribs.  So what I'm saying is that the ribs tasted like they were slathered with wing sauce, kind of strange.  We really couldn’t get our brains around it.  Again, the taste was just okay, nothing spectacular.

Again, the recipe was easy, but very time consuming since you have to wait 4 - 24 hours for the ribs to marinate after they have been baked, which is a different approach.

The dish comes together, but would I make it again? Probably not.

This book makes a great coffee table book.  The photos are beautiful and the book is easy to read.  The recipes just don't do it for me.  Rose Murray takes recipes that have influenced the provinces of Canada, but then she adds her own spin to the recipes that just don't enhance the authenticity of the recipe or the flavors.  I really wanted to give this book a pass.  But I have to say that I probably will not refer back to this book for any future meals.  So it will sit on my coffee table for now.

Rose Murray you didn’t get the gold for this one.

VERDICTA Taste of Canada A Culinary Journey Flunked the Test!
The Cookbook Addict


0 comments: