Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day Two - Into The Vietnamese Kitchen - Pho Xao Don

Today I was a bit frazzled from the moment I woke up for the second feeding (for the baby that is) at 3:45 a.m..  I was scheduled for minor surgery on my right hand, so my day started pretty early trying to get everyone out of the house on time to get to the hospital, finish the procedure and shop for food.

The surgery went fine, but I knew that I had to pick a menu that would accommodate a one handed cook.  So I went with Pan-Fried Rice Noodles with Beef and Vegetables (Pho Xao Don).  The meal was pretty easy to pull together with the help of my Souse Chef (my husband) who cut the veggies for me.  The dish was relatively tasty.  Although I was expecting more punch in the flavors of this dish, I was satisfied with the mild nuances that did come through in this recipe.

The book is very organized with the instructions.  You couldn't miss a step if you wanted to.   What was even a better surprise was the ingredients were very easy to find.  Mind you, I do live close to a Vietnamese grocery store.

Anyway, before my pain medication fails me, I just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to trying out a few recipes tomorrow. I may have to start early with only one hand in use. LOL!

The Cookbook Addict

0 comments: