Monday, February 22, 2010

Day One - Jamie's Food Revolution - Cherry Tomato Sauce with Cheat's Fresh Pasta

Hello there!  You may notice I didn't get a chance to blog over the weekend.  It seems that every weekend gets just a bit busier.

Mark, the kids and I went to Cannington to watch dog sledding races.  We spent a full day outdoors enjoying the activities.  What were even better were the food trucks and tents with their  interesting mix of dishes.  There was the Jamaican tent serving peas and rice, jerk chicken and coleslaw, which was very tasty on a cold winter day.  We also tried pulled pork on a bun.  Mark enjoyed it, but I've had better.  Then there was the walking taco.  You ask, what is a walking taco. I had my own visions dancing in my head. When Mark came back with his order I was stunned and hysterical (laughing) at the same time.  A walking taco is a bag of Zesty Cheesy Doritos crushed in a bag, topped with ground beef, shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream and a fork.  You eat the taco from the bag.  Low overhead I guess since you don't need plates. It's not a bad idea and didn't taste too bad. However, my favorite for the day was the vendor truck fries yummmm.  Just love them.

The rest of the weekend was pretty packed, but I won't get into the details since we didn't eat anything else new.

The book being tested for this week is Jamie's Food Revolution.  I have all of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks.  I've never been disappointed with his recipes.  They're easy, with simple ingredients, and he has always used fresh ingredients, which really makes you fall in love with the dishes.  Lately Jamie has been working hard to teach the nation about sustainable food.  Going back to basics when it comes to raising our animals and growing our food.  So in this new book he really encourages organic.  I have to say, organic makes the difference taste wise and budget wise.  Jamie promises that the meals in this book will be simple, delicious, and affordable.  I’m a bit suspicious about affordable, since organic and be pretty costly.  So I'll test it out to see if he's right.  I also want to know if the family will notice an obvious difference in taste with the organic produce and meats. 

Today I started with Cherry Tomato Sauce with Cheat's Fresh Pasta.  I used fresh cherry tomatoes, basil, 6 year old cheese and a nice aged balsamic vinegar.  Cheat's part of the dish is using fresh lasagna pasta from the store and cutting it into strips to resemble pasta noodles.  But since I already had fresh pasta in the fridge, I just used that.  I have to admit that I never had a pasta sauce made with balsamic vinegar, I was worried that the meal would end up in the garbage.  But the sauce was rich, smooth and mellow.  The dish was light and flavorful.  The best part was having the ingredients on hand.





Tomorrow I'll have to venture outside and pick up some ingredients.

Wish me luck.

The Cookbook Addict

0 comments: