Sunday, January 10, 2010

Thomas Keller - Bouchon Cook Book

http://www.amazon.ca/Bouchon-Thomas-Keller/dp/1579652395

Today I decided to take a cooking break.  My husband and I went out for dinner.  I regret that decision now.  Do you ever get that feeling, after dinning at a restaurant, that you should have stayed home and cooked because the food and drinks would have been cheaper and much much better.  Well, that's the kind of feeling I got today.  A group of us went out for dinner to celebrate our birthdays.  We selected a restaurant that had beer sampling.....good for the guys, and the menu wasn't that bad.  However,  the beer was warm and the food didn't meet anyone's expectations.  A well, you live and learn.

I have to say, I get very pissed off when I use up precious calories on food that taste like crap.  Today I was lucky.  I stuck with salad after I gave away my unpalatable appetizer....I was pissed but not pissed off.  I figured that if you can't master an appetizer in a restaurant, order a salad with grilled shrimp on the side.  It's hard to mess up salad. At least I was hoping they couldn't mess up salad.  I lucked out,  the salad was great.  The rest of the group went for a main course and didn't walk away very enamored by their meal. You know we won't be going back to West 50 in Mississauga

Any who, the reason I'm blogging after imbibing too much red wine at dinner, is to discuss a cook book that cannot be over looked.  Thomas Keller Bouchon Cook Book.  This book is part of my collections.  I use it often, and never been disappointed in the out come of the product. Although there are not many pictures, the ones provided are informative and beautiful.  The author takes great pride in ensuring that you got back to basics and take your time to make the best product you will be very proud of.  There are clear explanations on what the product is and how to best approach preparing it.

I've made the Bacon and Onion Quiche and Spinach Quiche many times.  The Quiche ends up sitting at 9 by 2 inches high.  The flavors will haunt you for ever and the texture is beyond explanation.  It looks professional and taste out of this world.   Every time I make it, I dream of opening my own restaurant.

The Cauliflower Gratin melts in your mouth.  Even if you hate Cauliflower, I believe that you will become friends with this vegetable if you taste this dish. 

The Roast Chicken....Where do I begin.  If you are stuck on what to make for dinner and you only have a full chicken.  Try the Bouchon's Roast Chicken.  It's fast, easy and yummy.  Admittedly there are not too many ingredients, but that's what makes it.

What I love most about this book is, you can't go wrong.  The recipes are exact and you end up with a professional product at the end.  The discussions in this book are informative and entertaining.

VERDICT - Thomas Keller, Bouchon Cook Book  - PASSED THE TEST!

0 comments: