Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day Four - Fettuccine with Asparagus, Morels, and Tarragon; Key Lime Sorbet and Fudgy Chocolate Mint Cupcakes

As I mentioned yesterday, my goal was to make two desserts.  The Key Lime Sorbet and the Fudgy Chocolate Mint Cupcakes.  I was still obligated to make dinner so I chose the Fettuccine with Asparagus, Morels and Tarragon.  I figured since I had all the ingredients except the fettuccine, that this would be a quick and easy recipe.  Then I realized I had to make the pasta from scratch.  I seem to make pasta so often, that it doesn't take much time anymore.

All three recipes were very quick and easy.  Since I still had Key Limes left in the fridge, I figured this should be quick and painless, until I figured out that I was 2oz shy of Key Lime juice.  So back out to the store to by more Key Limes.  Once again, I just slapped the ingredients together, and put in the ice cream maker and voila!  Sorbet.  Very refreshing, and very rich.  With a little sprinkle of graham crackers and whip cream, it's like eating key lime pie.  I didn't take a picture of this dessert since it still needs time to set. But man....it sure tasted great!

Now!!!!! the Fudgy Chocolate Mint Cupcakes,  this recipe lets you cheat a bit, since it calls for a box of devil's food cake mix.  Once I added the other ingredients, 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips etc.  I could hardly get the cupcakes in the pan.  I couldn't stop eating the batter.  Then the frosting Hmmmmmmm.  Well, lets put it this way, by the time I finished tasting the frosting I had just enough for the cupcakes I made with the left over batter.  Yummmmmm is all I got to say.  This dessert is outrageous.

 The Fettuccine with Asparagus, Morels, and Tarragon was very good.   It was a simple dish and perfect for a mid-week dinner, no fuss, no muss.  The Morles really absorbed the sauce and their texture melted in your mouth.



 










Although all the recipes were fast and easy, It did make for a long day of cooking, but so worth it.

Another amazing section of this book is the Drinks Alcoholic and Nonalcoholic chapter.  I think after a crazy week I'll be trying out a few of the recipes from this section tomorrow.  So we may end up eating pizza depending when I start mixing . :-)

The Cookbook Addict

1 comments:

Susan said...

It's a tough job being a taster. One could say that you could potentially putting your life on the line. But...sigh...someone's gotta do it SO I'M SURE GLAD ITS ME!!!

My sweet toothed husband and I (although possible, I thought it would've been wrong to eat two giant cupcakes so I thought I'd might as well share)had the cupcakes with our morning coffee on Saturday morning (yes, I know that's just wrong) - BUT, it was goooood...the cupcakes were moist and chocolately, the frosting was creamy, smooth and absolutely de-lish.

Verdict: A great big pass.

Thank you Sharon!!!!!