Friday, January 15, 2010

Day Five - Verdict on A Matter of Taste

Well I've completed testing this book.  I feel like I was on a bit of a journey.  A Matter of Taste provided a great selection of meals that takes you around the would.  Jewish, Greek, Thai and the list goes on.  Although the book does divide the menus up by season which is very helpful in purchasing the freshest produce available for a specific time of year, you are not forced to abide by it.  The meals are very interchangeable.

What caught me off guard with most of the recipes was the low calorie aspect.  Some of the recipes do have their share of butter, and cream.  But most of the menu courses are very healthy.  I didn't have the urge to have my arteries irrigated for any of the meals I cooked from this book, and I didn't feel like I was missing any taste at all.

Today we had the:
  • Artichokes Vinaigrette
  • Roasted Veal Chops with Mushroom Sauce and Truffle Oil
  • Potato Galette


Once again, the meal was amazing, and pretty fast to pull together.  I followed the books suggestion and purchased the wine that best fit the meal, Burgundy from the Cote d'Or.  I didn't buy the top of the line wine, but the one I purchased was a nice match.

A Matter of Taste is a good cookbook.  It's informative, comprehensive on the beverage pairing and just clean cooking without to much fuss and bother. Lucy Waverman really uses some amazing seasonings.  Considering I'm a salt lover, there was little call for it in her recipes.  The flavors in the key elements in the dish were complemented with fresh herbs and surprising ingredients.

Lucy Waverman did not let me down regarding following her recipes and directions.  As usual, the meals came together as promised.
 
VERDICT - A Matter Of Taste - PASS THE TEST!

0 comments: